Give a Gift of Justice
Maine Initiatives is a community of individuals advancing justice and equity in Maine through informed, intentional, and collective philanthropy. Even so, many of us don’t think of ourselves as philanthropists. We are organizers, activists, advocates, leaders, connectors, seekers, fighters, teachers, and learners. Philanthropy is, however—drawing on its roots in ancient Greek—“love of humanity.” Your giving to Maine Initiatives—in any amount—is an act of love that is advancing justice and equity in our state. Be a community philanthropist. Give to Maine Initiatives.
Give to Maine Initiatives Now
Other Ways to Give
A donor-advised fund is a great giving option. It allows you to give money to Maine Initiatives to distribute charitably according to your recommendations. It’s like having your own foundation, but without the complications of operating a corporation.
A donor-advised account permits you to support justice and equity in Maine over time while enjoying the full value of your charitable deduction. Donor Advised Funds also permit you to get money out to the community efficiently and effectively, regardless of the size of the fund. Accordingly, we offer two Donor Advised Fund options:
- Current Use (Non-Endowed) Donor Advised Funds can be established with a minimum initial contribution of $1,000. They allow you to make grants from the principal in the account, and permit grants to be made whenever there are funds in the account. They are not typically created with an eye to perpetuity, but permit you to establish a fund and begin making grants immediately. You can make grants from a Current Use Donor Advised Fund until the principal is expended, and you can make new deposits into the fund at any time.
- Endowed Donor Advised Funds can be established with a minimum contribution of $5,000. They require a minimum balance of $25,000 to make grants, and grants are made from the interest and dividends, preserving the principal for the long-term. Endowed Donor Advised Funds are typically created when there are substantial philanthropic funds at a particular moment in time, and when the donor seeks to make a long-term commitment to grantmaking.
If you donate securities that you have owned for over a year, you may receive a tax deduction for the current fair market value of those assets and avoid any capital gains tax. Here is the information you or your broker will need to make a transfer of securities to Maine Initiatives:
- DTC number: 0164
- Broker: Charles Schwab & Co., 211 Main Street, San Francisco, CA 94105
- Account Number for general support donations: 4092-7296
- Account Number for donations to our endowment: 3142-8242
- Tax ID number: 01-0484310
Through the Heirloom Society at Maine Initiatives, you can ensure that your commitment to social progress lives on by including Maine Initiatives in your will. Please contact us for more information about creating a bequest, establishing a trust, or to discuss other planned giving options.
There are also favorable tax benefits available when you designate Maine Initiatives as a beneficiary of your life insurance policy.
Donating real estate offers the same benefits as donating stocks. If you own real estate that has appreciated in value, you are likely eligible to forgo capital gains tax by giving it to Maine Initiatives.