Become a Participant
Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.
― James Baldwin
Become a Participant in the 2021 G4C Grantmaking Process
Our participatory grantmaking process offers participants opportunities for learning, reflection, and engagement on issues of racial justice in Maine. We seek to meet participants where they are and give them the tools, information, and opportunity to move towards deeper, more impactful engagement with this work and those leading the efforts.
Why be a participant?
We have designed our participatory grantmaking process to be an opportunity for community organizing and movement-building for racial justice, led by those who are most impacted: Black, Brown, Indigenous, Community Members of Color (BIPOC) community members. This year’s process is rooted in a “Continuum of Ethical Engagement” framework that embodies our belief that through informed reflection, our capacity for ethical engagement is strengthened. Listening to and learning from the work and priorities of Community Leaders, we challenge our Participants to deepen their commitment to racial justice organizing by moving toward meaningful, impactful, collective action.
The “Continuum of Ethical Engagement” for Racial Justice and Anti-Racist Activism
In relation to the racial justice work and commitments of Community Leaders, all Participants will be invited to develop their capacities for Awareness, Understanding, Action, and Activism.
Awareness: Through education and a willingness to learn, Participants are becoming more aware of what racial justice requires and who is doing this work.
Understanding: Through personal reflection, Participants are developing a deeper understanding of each of our roles and responsibilities for intervening in systems of oppression.
Action: Through listening to and following the guidance of those most impacted, Participants are intervening on institutional, structural, and systemic forms of injustice and inequity.
Activism (Organizing and Advocacy): In proximity to and coordination with others in the community to whom Participants are accountable, Participants are effectively and consistently intervening on white supremacy and settler colonialism.
Who can be a Participant?
- Anyone! No experience necessary.
- All interested community members are invited to an Information and Q&A Session via Zoom on Wednesday, October 27th from 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm.
- Are you a Board member, staff member, or otherwise affiliated with an applicant organization? That’s okay! We have designed our process to identify and mitigate potential conflicts of interest in this process.
- If you are interested in being a Participant in the 2021 G4C grantmaking process, please fill out the Call To Participants form (estimated 15-20 minutes to complete).
What is the Opportunity?
- Participants will receive, review, and reflect on three (3) Engagement Packets, each providing information about the work, priorities, and asks of Community Leaders. We anticipate sending three Engagement Packets, one in each of the first three weeks of November.
- After completing their review of the three packets, each Participant will complete one (1) online Response Form by November 30, 2021.
- Participants are strongly encouraged to use this opportunity to reflect on their roles and responsibilities in on-going anti-racist work, to examine what contributions they can make, to consider what sacrifices might be required, and to take direct action as guided by the requests of Community Leaders.
What is the Time Commitment?
- All Participants are strongly encouraged to attend the Information and Q&A Session in late October.
- We estimate the review of material will take between 90 minutes and two (2) hours total.
- We estimate that completing the online Response Form will take approximately 30 minutes.
- Total estimated minimum time commitment: Approximately three (3) hours during the month of November 2021.
Participant Process Timeline
- October 1 – Call for Participants
- October 27 – Participant Orientation with Q&A (ZOOM)
- November 2 – Close of Participant Call
- November 4 – Engagement Packet #1 sent to Participants
- November 11 – Engagement Packet #2 sent to Participants
- November 18 – Engagement Packet #3 sent to Participants
- November 30 – Participant Response Form due