The Flannel Shirt Fund is a donor-advised fund at Maine Initiatives. The Fund’s objective is to connect schools and farms and children to gardens. Grant support is provided for activities including:
- Development of gardens and greenhouses at schools.
- Developing cafeteria programs that buy local produce and products and engage students in growing and preparing some of their food.
- Field trips to local farms.
- Presentations and workshops on farming, foraging and sustainable agriculture.
- The purchase of gardening books and lesson plans.
- Older students applying their knowledge of gardening by teaching younger students.
The Flannel Shirt fund will award grants of up to $400 to classrooms or small groups. If several classrooms or groups are connecting on a project, the cap is $1,200.
Application deadlines: June 1, October 1, February 1.
Please contact us to apply.