Finance and Operations Manager
Maine Initiatives is a community-based foundation located in Portland, ME that advances social, economic, and environmental justice through informed, intentional, and collective philanthropy. We seek an organized, dynamic, and team-oriented person to join our growing team in the newly created role of Finance and Operations Manager. This role is full time with benefits. At this time, our entire staff is working remotely, but we expect to return to in-person work in our Portland co-working space when it is safe to do so.
The Finance and Operations Manager is the team leader for Maine Initiatives’ financial management, administrative, and human resource priorities.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Financial Management: Ensure timely payment of bills, mailing of checks, invoicing, and tracking of expenditures; coordinating with bookkeeping and accounting personnel, supplying detail on income and expenditure for monthly closings and reconciliations, and preparing material for the annual 990 tax filing and and audit; and depositing funds and tracking income received, etc.
- Development: Manage donor database (Network for Good) and gift acknowledgement process; grant submission and reporting calendars; donor communications, etc.
- Human Resources: Coordinate payroll and benefits administration, contracts, employee on-boarding, personnel files, etc.
- Grants Administration: Prepare and send Grant Award Letters and Terms and Conditions; maintain grantee database and files; coordinate follow-up for reporting and other grantee communications, etc.
In addition to the responsibilities above, the Finance and Operations Manager will also have the following General Administration responsibilities:
- Act as primary contact on facilities matters
- Support Executive Director in communications with Board Members and Committees
- Assist in the preparation of documents, agendas, and packets for board and committee meetings
- Purchase office supplies and organize inventory
- Maintain organizational files and documents including grant and finance records
- Coordinate insurance coverage
- Manage repair and maintenance of office equipment, including computers, phones and printers
- Regulatory and Compliance Matters: Charitable Licensure, etc.
- Other support to the ED, as requested
Qualifications and Skills
- At least 3 years of experience working or volunteering with nonprofits, foundations and/or community organizations
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build trusting relationships across lines of difference
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with respect to business information and use appropriate discretion in working with others
- Ability to balance and prioritize a complex portfolio, collaborate to achieve group goals, and meet deadlines
- Some familiarity with the nonprofit fundraising process, including applying for foundation grants
- Network for Good, QuickBooks, Excel experience a plus
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range for this position is $45,000 – $55,000. Salary is based on lived and learned experience. Benefits include generous paid time off (30 days), 10 paid holidays, individual employer-provided health insurance, long-term disability insurance, and a defined contribution retirement plan with employer match.
How to Apply
Maine Initiatives is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce at all job levels, and we are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We encourage Black folks, immigrants, people of color, indigenous people, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, women, formerly incarcerated people, and members of any other group that may experience adversity in hiring to apply. To apply, send your resume and a cover letter sharing with us why you are a good match for this position to email@example.com by March 31, 2021. Include “Finance and Operations Manager Job Application” in the subject line. If you need assistance, you may contact us at 207-607-4070 or firstname.lastname@example.org.